Saturday, August 23, 2008

Day 4: 66 Miles

Sisters to Brothers

Today presented new challenges.
As we headed out of Sisters I realized that there was an issue with my gears- as it turns out when I had a kick stand put on in Sisters, the bike mechanic caught my bike gear wire inside the kickstand. oops. Therefore I realized that I only had 3 gears. I toughed it out the 20 miles to Bends, where we stopped at the Bike shop. On the way I somehow fell off the bike again in desperation. Ouch.

Sweet Jamie fixed the gears for free. I almost asked him to marry me.

We headed out of Bends around three into the long highway through the desert: Route 20. The landscape is barren, the air arid and dry. The sun is hot and the muted yellows and green is all that we see for miles and miles.

By dusk we pulled into the small town of Brothers. It seemed like a ghost town: a broken down school house and old general store. The winds were feirce. We quickly cooked macaroni and cheese and pitched our tent on the grounds of the Rest area. Spooky.

No comments: