Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Day 2: 47 Miles

Ouch. One sore behind. The Advil addiction begins. My hand wont stop spasiming. Interesting.
This morning we stopped at the VIDA town cafe for a deliscious breakfast. An old biker dude treated us to breakfast. His gesture may have been in reaction to the to-die-for waitress that proclaimed outloud to the cafe, "Chivalry Is Dead.!"

The morning ride was smooth along a beautiful river bed and evergreen forest. We stopped in McKenzie Bridge for some lunch before heading up McKenzie Pass.

Let me just say that on Day 2 of the crash course, we were attempting to bike up a 5,300 ft mountain. I wasnt exactly sure of what I was getting myself into. I quickly found out. It was worse than I could have ever imagined.

The first 2 hours were climbing but not that steep. Then the switchbacks.
I can honestly say that I am not in shape enough to just bike over a 5.300 mountain pass. I realized this a couple of hours after biking straight up, windy curve after windy curve.

I began to fall apart. Tears, dispair. HOw would I possible make it?

Did I mention how much my ass hurt?

Then something came over me. I though about how I just completed my MBA, of which nothing can compare. I thought about Lotte, miles ahead and her ease and grace. I thought about how, at that point I didn't have a choice but to Power On. And that is what I did.

We made it half way up the pass. Set up camp. Minutes before the rains came.

No comments: